Hong Kong’s justice secretary has made an impassioned defence of his country’s legal system amid political unrest, insisting: ‘The rule of law and judicial independence are as good as before.’Speaking in London last week, Rimsky Yuen admitted that questions have been raised about Hong Kong’s adherence to the rule of law and judicial independence since the publication of a white paper by the Chinese government in June.Beijing asserted that it retained ‘comprehensive jurisdiction’ over Hong Kong in a move seen by some as an attack on the former British colony’s special status.Hong Kong is the predominant legal centre for Asia-Pacific, with more than 80 foreign law firms based there, but critics suggest that the freedom which allowed such growth is now being undermined.Yuen told the London Law Expo such concerns were ‘mistaken’, adding: ‘There is no evidence to support these assertions and the objective circumstances point to the other direction.’Yuen alluded to the ‘unique’ arrangement in the Hong Kong court of appeal which invites a foreign judge to sit on a five-person panel. A total of 12 non-permanent judges from the UK, Australia and New Zealand sit in Hong Kong courts, including the UK Supreme Court president Lord Neuberger.Yuen added: ‘Would these eminent judges be willing to sit in our court of appeal if they did not enjoy complete independence or felt any interference?’
CONSTRUCTION of the long-planned four-line metro in the Taiwanese second city Kaohsiung is set to get under way in 2001, with two routes totalling 42·7 km now expected to open in stages between 2004 and 2007. Kaohsiung has grown rapidly in recent years, and now has over 3 million inhabitants. The first two metro lines are to be built by the private sector under a build-operate-transfer concession, with the national government contributing up to 90% of the NT$195bn capital cost.On January 28 Kaohsiung Metropolitan Government’s Department of Rapid Transit Systems appointed British-based engineering consultancy Mott MacDonald to act as technical consultant for the BOT process. Mott MacDonald will produce the technical documentation necessary for KDORTS to procure the private-sector participation in the project, including reference designs and specifications for system performance, operations and maintenance. The firm will also control the budget and schedule on behalf of the municipality.The 14·4 km Orange line will run east-west from the National Sun Yat-sen University through the city centre to Ta Liao, with 14 stations. It will also include the main depot and operations control centre. The north-south Red line connecting Chiao Tou with Lin Hai industrial park will be 28·3 km long, with 23 stations and two depots. Connecting links will be provided where the two routes intersect, and with the future Blue and Brown lines.
ARGENTINA: Continuing his official visit to China, Minister of the Interior & Transport Florencio Randazzo announced on September 25 that CNR is to supply 27 three-car DMUs for the Belgrano Sur commuter network in Buenos Aires. With contract signature expected within two weeks, deliveries are due to take place in 2015.Randazzo also announced that on October 1 the government would invite Chinese rolling stock manufacturers to bid to supply a further 32 three-car DMUs for the Sarmiento and Mitre networks. According to the minister, bidders would be asked to provide finance and would be assessed on criteria including the proportion of domestic content. CNR President Cui Dianguo said the rolling stock manufacturer had for some time been considering undertaking production in Argentina in partnership with a local company. ‘We want them to think seriously about locating in Argentina’, said Randazzo, ‘our government will completely support them and it is great opportunity for them to develop in Latin America.’
An agreement has been signed for Perpetuum’s condition monitoring systems to be used with Siemens Mobility’s Railigent maintenance and operations support suite. The co-operation agreement allows both companies to continue serving their customers independently while evaluating ways to combine their strengths to deliver enhanced value on specific projects. The EU Agency for Railways has relaunched its website, with new sections on vehicle authorisation processes, safety certification, and ERTMS trackside approval. It also features a library of corporate publications, ERA recommendations, studies, opinions and technical advice.On September 14 British Steel announced plans to cut 400 managerial, professional and administrative roles in the UK, Ireland, France and the Netherlands. ‘We’ve made a strong start to life as British Steel but our external environment is constantly changing’, said CFO Gerald Reichmann. ‘Raw materials are all traded in US dollars, so the weakening of the pound and euro have implications for us.’Segula Technologies and Limmat Group have agreed to collaborate to develop predictive maintenance services for the rail sector.
Somali security officers assess the scene of a suicide car bomb explosion, at the gate of Naso Hablod Two Hotel in Hamarweyne district of Mogadishu, Somalia October 29, 2017. REUTERS/Feisal Omar Somali security officers assess the scene of a suicide car bomb explosion, at the gate of Naso Hablod Two Hotel in Hamarweyne district of Mogadishu, Somalia October 29, 2017. REUTERSThe heads of Somalia’s police and national security have been sacked after a bombing targeting a hotel in the country’s capital claimed at least 29 lives, state radio reported on its website on Sunday.“Somalia’s police commander General Abdihakin Dahir Saiid and director general of the National Intelligence Security Agency (NISA), Abdullahi Mohamed Ali, have now been sacked after a cabinet meeting,” state radio reported, this according to Reuters.Saturday’s blasts came two weeks after more than 350 people were killed in a massive truck bombing on a busy Mogadishu street in the country’s worst-ever attack.The al-Shabab extremist group quickly claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attack.Al- Shabaab marked its official presence in Somalia in In April 2016, staging its first attack against African Union military peacekeepers, the Council on Foreign Relations reports.In September 2014, the United States launched a strike through use of drones and manned aircraft that reportedly killed 150 al-Shabab soldiers including al-Shabab’s leader, Ahmed Abdi Godane, after which the group immediately named Ahmed Umar as his successor, the report said.
22 Views no discussions DHTA president, Yvonne ArmourThe Dominica Hotel and Tourism Association (DHTA) has reported that they have made strides in facilitating funding for private sector businesses investing in the tourism sector, amidst the many challenges now facing the sector.President of DHTA, Yvonne Armour told the DHTA’s 41st Annual General Meeting at the Fort Young Hotel on Wednesday evening, that the board held successful talks with the National Bank of Dominica; a financial institution who has been working with tourism businesses in Dominica for many years.According to Armour, while many financial institutions continue to promote low interest rates to facilitate members, accessing the funds continue to remain a challenge. “The DHTA called for and recently held a very well received meeting with the National Bank of Dominica to get information on the productive sector loan which is at a special rate of 6.5% interest rate”.The Association made that decision as they had received complaints from its membership of the difficulty which they have had in accessing funding from the banks.“We explained what the issues were, we explained the high season and low season, and we explained to them that they could have some leniency by having our members pay the capital and interest in the high season, and possible owe the interest in the low season”.Armour reported that initial discussions held with bank officials were successful and the board is expected to meet with the various head of department at the NBD with a view to advancing the process.“I must say that they received it quite well and they asked us to return to meet with the various heads of department and they were happy to get a better idea of how the sector actually works”. Dominica Vibes News LocalNews DHTA assists membership in accessing funding by: – October 18, 2012
Share 12 Views one comment Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews Bishop calls for unity following national tragedy by: – April 20, 2013 Share Bishop Malzaire is in Guadeloupe attending the Antilles Bishops Conference (file photo)Bishop of Roseau, Gabriel Malzaire has called on the nation to be united in prayer after two men lost their lives in a tragic event on Friday, April 19th.“It is with great sadness that I learnt, during the Antilles Bishops Conference in Guadeloupe, of the accidental death of the National Football coach, Mr. Kurt Hector and his companion Mr. Norran Jon Hope, on their way to participate in the Windward Football Tournament to be held in St. Vincent,” the Bishop wrote in a press release.He offered deepest condolences to the bereaved families and friends of the deceased and the other members of the National Football Team, and prays that their souls rest in peace.He also offered prayers for the speedy recovery of the single survivor of the accident, Mr. Joslen Prince. Coach Hector (left) and Norrann Jno Hope“Tragedies of this kind affect the entire Dominican community and therefore we all share the sorrow. Let us, therefore, stay united in prayer,” Bishop Malzaire encouraged.Mr Hector and Mr Jno Hope of La Plaine were travelling in a Suzuki Escudo to join the other team members when the vehicle plunged into a 40 feet deep opening on the Pond Case road.Joslen Prince of Grand Fond who was travelling with them managed to get out and is in a critical condition at the Princess Margaret Hospital.The team was en route to the Melville Hall Airport for participation in the Windward Islands Football Tournament being held in St. Vincent. The team cancelled participation in the tournament and received counseling yesterday to assist them cope with the loss.Dominica Vibes News Tweet
Sharing is caring! Share NewsRegional US funding for Guyana elections by: Caribbean Media Corporation – April 8, 2015 Share 143 Views no discussions GEORGETOWN, Guyana (CMC) – The United States says it is providing US$300,000 to fund local and hemispheric observers as Guyana prepares to elect a new government on May 11.“It is our hope that international and domestic observation will increase public and stakeholder confidence in the electoral process, culminating in all political parties’ acceptance of the ultimate results,” the US Embassy here said in a statement.It said that the money would be used to support the monitoring programmes of the Organization of American States (OAS) and the Electoral Assistance Bureau (EAB).“These resources will assist in their efforts to ensure fair, free, and credible elections in Guyana on May 11th,” it said, adding “the US Government is pleased to support the two organizations in bringing their credible and critical analysis to Guyana’s 2015 electoral process”.Both the ruling People’s Progressive Party Civic (PPP/C) and the coalition alliance of A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) and the Alliance for Change (AFC) on Tuesday named their candidates for the May 11 regional and national poll.In its statement, Washington said that it would continue to advocate globally for the expansion and strengthening of democratic governance and that regular free and fair elections are critical in this regard. It said that the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) has established a strong track record of ensuring free, fair, and credible elections for the people of Guyana, and “we have full faith and confidence in its ability to do so once again in 2015.” Tweet Share
Share Tweet LocalNews MV Minerva makes inaugural call to Dominica by: – December 23, 2015 Share Share Roseau, Dominica, December 23, 2015 –MV Minerva of All Leisure Cruises Line made its inaugural call to Dominica on Wednesday December 23, 2015 at the Woodbridge Bay Port. This is the ship’s only call to Dominica for the 2015/2016 cruise season. With a gross tonnage of 12449, MV Minerva has a carrying capacity of 350 passengers and 160 crew members. The ship is 437 feet in length. Prior to calling to Dominica the ship called in at Barbados. From Dominica the ship sails to St. Lucia. As the ship was originally designed for Swan Hellenic’s intensive cultural enrichment programs, which cater to mostly British passengers, it has a country-house hotel atmosphere and is decorated with many paintings, prints and drawings that reflect its cruising regions. The officers are European, the stewardesses Ukrainian and the restaurant and bar service personnel Filipino. To mark the Ship’s inaugural call, a Welcome Ceremony to include plaque exchange was held aboard the ship. Government Officials and tourism stakeholders were present to officially welcome the ship’s captain and crew. A total of one hundred and seventy four (174) cruise calls are projected for the cruise season. This translates to approximately 290,000 passengers. – / 45 Sharing is caring! 214 Views no discussions
Matt Medley Watching this video caused four initial reactions…A. LeBron is awesome.B. This guy really likes LeBron.C. Great choice of music.D. This guy has a lot of time on his hands and knows how to make videos.Watch below: Related TopicsLeBron Matt Medley is co-editor at NEO Sports Insiders, covers the Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Indians and high school sports in Northeast Ohio.Follow @MedleyHoops on Twitter for live updates from games.