─ Cop’s file with DPPThe late pedestrian who over the weekend was fatally struck down by a vehicle driven by a police rank while escorting an injured colleague to hospital remains unidentified.A reliable source disclosed on Tuesday that the case file is with the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), who will soon determine if charges would be laid against the police constable whose vehicle had struck the pedestrian in the wee hours of Sunday morning while the victim was crossing the Public Road atThe Allion motor car, PPP 8497, that struck the pedestrian at Soesdyke, EBDSoesdyke, East Bank Demerara (EBD). The pedestrian had sustained severe head injuries, and was picked up and placed in another vehicle with the previously injured police rank, and both were taken to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre. But en route to the EBD facility, medical personnel had pronounced the unidentified man dead.Guyana Times understands that, once the DPP consents, the policeman will be charged in the new week. The first accident occurred on the Timehri Public Road, EBD when Constable Gavin Gentle lost control of his motorcar, PTT 5444, and it crashed into a utility pole. The constable implicated in the pedestrian’s death had arrived on scene and was in the process of transporting Constable Gentle for medical attention in his privately owned motorcar, Toyota Allion PPP 8497, when he struck down the man.It was claimed by police that just before the fatal accident, the Allion motor car of the implicated constable was being escorted by a police vehicle with flashing lights and sounding siren. According to information received, the driver of PPP 8497 had allegedly swerved from the pedestrian, who was said to be in the centre of the road, but he was struck down by the constable’s car. The driver of PPP 8497 had been detained, and tests reportedly revealed that no alcohol was traced on his breath. The dead man’s body is currently at the Lyken Funeral Parlour.Investigations into both matters are continuing.
The preparatory camp for the wrestling world championships is going on at full throttle and double Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar is gearing up for a return to the mat in the 74kg category.The world championships, to be held in Las Vegas from September 7-12, will also double up as a qualification tournament for the 2016 Rio Olympics. With Narsingh Yadav also competing in the 74kg category, the Wrestling Federation of India is facing a dilemma on whether to hold selection trials which will pit the two against each other.Sushil’s last competition was the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow where he won gold, competing in the 74kg for the first time.Since then, the London Olympics silver medallist decided to focus only on the Rio Olympics. Narsingh, who competed at the London Olympics in the 74kg class, replaced Sushil and performed well, winning bronze medals at the Asian Games and the recent Asian Championships.Coaches at the national camp said Sushil, 32, is preparing in all earnest for the world championship but a call on the selection trials will be taken by WFI.”Sushil is preparing for any possibility. Narsingh has done well in recent tournaments. Every player should get an equal opportunity. But there are four Olympic qualification events and the world championship is the first one. The WFI will decide on it,” one of the coaches told Mail Today.The worlds, however, will provide the largest number of qualification berths. The top six wrestlers in each of the 18 Olympic weight categories will make the cut.advertisementWFI president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh said they are going to meet the coaches and selectors in the next few days to decide on the matter.”We have never exempted anyone from trials. Yes, in the past we have relieved senior players from nationals and trials considering their performances, experience and workload,” he told Mail Today.When the WFI decided not to hold selection trials for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, paving the way for Sushil and Yogeshwar to return to the mat after two years with a direct qualification, some wrestlers moved court against the federation.However, both Sushil and Yogeshwar justified WFI’s decision by winning gold medals in their first international competition after the change in weight classes. Yogeshwar competed in the 65kg category while Sushil, who earlier fought in 66kg, participated in 74kg.Also, there is a new set of coaches and assistant coach Jagmal Singh has served as the personal coach of Narsingh. He is likely to argue in favour of trials.
Former champion Marin Cilic had a golden chance to reach the U.S. Open final three years after lifting the trophy at Flushing Meadows, but the Croatian fifth seed blew it when he lost 6-4 5-7 5-7 4-6 against Argentine counter-puncher Diego Schwartzman in the third round on Friday.Cilic, the highest seed in a clear bottom half of the draw, eventually paid the price for his lack of match practice after skipping the U.S. Open warm-up tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati due to injury.He hit 80 unforced errors in an untidy display on Grandstand, where he also served nine double faults.The Very Open #USOpen@dieschwartzman takes out No. 5 seed Cilic 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-4 in R3!https://t.co/FQIIZXgeQs pic.twitter.com/shWovSspOv- US Open Tennis (@usopen) 1 September 2017″In the second round I played really well but today I was not coming up with the great shots,” Cilic told reporters.”It was a tough match… I didn’t have many free points on my serve, there were a lot of rallies.”Schwartzman was overwhelmed in the opening set before the 29th seed found his range to frustrate Cilic, who bowed out after wasting three chances to level for 5-5 in the fourth set.In a bottom half of a draw without a grand slam finalist and where American John Isner is now the highest seed at number 10, Schwartzman will take on either France’s Lucas Pouille or Kazakh Mikhail Kukushkin for a quarter-final spot.”I hope people can understand tennis is for everyone. It’s not just for the tall guys.”advertisement-@dieschwartzman https://t.co/9AqGcbSkGH #USOpen pic.twitter.com/19tjMVxZNF- US Open Tennis (@usopen) 1 September 2017″Sometimes if you have luck with the draw and you can take your chances, it’s always good for the new guys or for the guys who are out of the top 10,” said Schwartzman.”I think many players are doing well this week and are taking the opportunities because (others) are injured.”When the hard work continues to pay off…@dieschwartzman???????#USOpen pic.twitter.com/CpqGomjTQ7- US Open Tennis (@usopen) 1 September 2017The tournament is without the injured Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka as well as Novak Djokovic, who has ended his season.Top seed Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, the pre-tournament favourites, are in the top half of the draw.