NBA: Lakers’ Russell says there’s freedom without Kobe

first_imgBrad Pitt wins his first acting Oscar as awards get underway Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH Despite his impressive performance on some games last year, the former Ohio Buck-eye was somehow playing on a leash. Former head coach Byron Scott did not pattern the team’s offense around his point guard’s patented pick-and-roll playmaking, while the team’s retiring legend Kobe Bryant dominated the ball and took the majority of shots on isolation plays.With new head coach Luke Walton endorsing a more flee-flowing type of offense this year, Rusell has already observed a sudden shift in the team’s priorities.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSCone plans to speak with Slaughter, agent“We’re all about playing together now,” he was quoted as saying on an ESPN report. “It’s not about one guy anymore. It’s about sacrificing for the team.”With Bryant’s departure from the team, many pundits have noticed a much more mature and confident version of the up-and-coming youngster in summer league and pre-season play. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ginebra teammates show love for Slaughter Mainland China virus cases exceed 40,000; deaths rise to 908 “Kobe deserved every bit of attention he got in his last year, but there’s freedom in Kobe not being around,” he explained. “There’s also a leadership vacuum that they plan to fill as a unit. There’s no one leader, no face of the Lakers.”He also cited the San Antonio Spurs as a barometer of success in the league, and said his team should use them as template.“When we traveled to San Antonio last season, I noticed that it’s about everybody–they had all those household names, but the 15th guy got the same amount of attention as Tim Duncan, who’s a legend,” he said.  “I feel like we’re all buying into that concept. We’re a team now. And that’s exciting.”Apart from the usual struggles of an NBA rookie, last year’s second overall pick had to endure tension with Scott who made him come of the bench for some games, while also dealing with wire-tap controversy with teammate Nick Young.The Lakers won their home opener against the Houston Rockets on Thursday, with the final score of 120-114.  Khristian IbarrolaADVERTISEMENT Team ‘Trabaho’ scores championship title at the last leg of Smart Siklab Saya Manila Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchise View commentscenter_img Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next 30 Filipinos from Wuhan quarantined in Capas We are young Pelicans’ Davis scores 50 in season-opening loss to Nuggets MOST READ EDITORS’ PICK Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan PLAY LIST 01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND Lakers’ sophomore guard D’Angelo Russell.  AP PHOTOSecond-year point guard D’Angelo Russell showed glimpses of his potential superstardom during his rookie campaign last year.After garnering respectable averages of 13.2 points, 3.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 28.2 minutes per game, the 20-year-old phenom is looking to ride that momentum and step up as the leader of the Los Angeles Lakers’ young core.ADVERTISEMENT BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchiselast_img read more

Over 500 online signatures gathered to save historical gallery

first_imgRelocation of Walter Roth MuseumGovernment seems to be clueless about where it will be relocating the Walter Roth Museum, and as the days progress, Guyanese from all walks of life are expressing their disappointment at such a move.People’s Progressive Party Chief Whip Gail Teixeira on Friday said the more than 500 online signatures to the petition to save the museum, has also seen widespread condemnation for the move by the Ministry of the Presidency to have the museum relocated:“The latest insult of Government to the Amerindian citizen is the move by the President to remove the Walter Roth Museum and the way it was done by having GDF soldiers moving in to inform staff that they had to move was even scarier.”The current location of the Walter Roth MuseumShe said the museum is a “living tribute to the Amerindian Peoples of Guyana from prehistoric times to now.” Ironically, she said, like the decision to relocate the Stabroek Market vendors or close the Wales Sugar Estate, “they have no clue where they are relocating this museum” as a mandate given by Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson has been unsuccessful.Last week, the Ministry of the Presidency said it was removing the Walter Roth Museum and its employees to the National Museum by the end of the year. This announcement came one day after Guyana Times broke the story about government’s plan to move the museum.The museum was founded with the collections of Guyanese Archaeologist, Dr Denis Williams and in 1980, the ethnographic collections of Dr Walter Roth, Mr JJ Quelch and Sir Everardim Thurn were transferred to the museum from the National Museum. The Walter Roth collections also include excavated artefacts from all 10 Administrative Regions.Former Culture, Youth and Sport Minister, Dr Frank Anthony, had stated that the museum is an institution and instead of dismantling it, “we have to be preserving it and growing it because it has a very important role to play in Guyana.”Dr Anthony said he does not think the President is aware of the space the National Museum has, since it has been overcrowded with its artefacts: “They cannot display their current holdings because there is a lack of space and to move an entire museum and somehow cram it into the space of the National Museum, I don’t think that is possible.”Dr Anthony added that if it is true the President wanted all the museums in one place then the Government would have to construct another building and he does not believe that they are rebuilding the current museum, and “if they are doing that, where are they getting the budget from because there was no budget voted in 2016 for it.”The Walter Roth Museum was established in 1974 but did not open to the public until 1982. It is located on Main Street, Georgetown and is famous for its journals in some of the leading universities of the world.last_img read more

VIDEO: Look How Much Gorilla Grace Has Grown!

first_imgShare This!Our favorite activity at Disney’s Animal Kingdom is now checking in with Grace, the baby gorilla born at the park this spring. It’s been about a month since our last report and she has developed SO MUCH since then. She is stronger and more interactive with her environment.In the video below, you’ll see Grace interacting with her mom, Katasha, as well as her half brother, Cory. Cory is the only other member of the family that Katasha trusts with Grace because he is the most gentle and affectionate.I’m not crying, you’re crying! (No wait, actually I am crying.)Video: Christina Harrisonlast_img read more

Proposed bill tied to towing industry

first_imgYour legislators are back for the second half of the session.Cole County State Rep. Dave Griffith is sponsoring a bill designed to make the towing industry more accountable.“If your truck overturns, and you’re hauling hazardous material, your fine is doubled if they upright that truck and they tow it away.”Griffith has also sponsored bills setting up veterans’ courts in every county and developing tax credits for historic state owned buildings in Jefferson City.last_img

London Olympics: Leander Paes ready to go by selectors’ choice

first_imgLeander Paes on Saturday said that he is ready to partner whosoever is chosen by the selectors as “Olympics is my greatest honour.” Breaking his silence after Mahesh Bhupathi accused him of “backstabbing,” Paes said who he partners at the London Games was not the most important issue for him.The All India Tennis Association (AITA) has stuck to its decision to pair the two veterans while the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has asked for a report in the matter.”Winning a medal at the Atlanta Olympics is the most cherished memory I have in my tennis career. To play for our flag, and represent India for the sixth time at the Olympics, is my greatest honour. I will, as I always have in the past, put my best foot forward,” said Paes.Paes, India’s top doubles player ranked seventh in the world, refused to react to Mahesh Bhupathi’s stinging statements. “I have no reaction to the recent statements made by Mahesh Bhupathi to the media.I have always maintained that I will play with whoever the selection committee and AITA choose and this continues to be my stand,” Paes said.The 38-year-old player, who had the right to state his preference of partner for the Games, made it clear that he wanted to play with Rohan Bopanna, but said he would not mind combining with his estranged partner Bhupathi. “When asked by the AITA, I expressed my preference to play with Rohan Bopanna as my partner in the Olympics 2012, based on his physical fitness and big serve.”advertisementThe issue of India’s tennis entry for the London Olympics snowballed into a row after AITA chose Paes and Bhupathi as India’s sole representatives in men’s doubles.Bhupathi, who paired up with Bopanna in January with the London Olympics in mind, has maintained that he will not partner Paes as he and Bopanna have qualified as a pair.”It does not help to shoot one’s mouth off like this,” Rohit Rajpal, one of the selectors told Mail Today, on the outburst by Bhupathi and Bopanna. “They should have shown a bit more maturity, discuss things and think about the country. People do come together to rise to the occasion. We thought about all options before taking this decision. As of now, we do not know how it will unfold. We hope things calm down and they will think a little bit.”Asked about their options if Bhupathi refuses to change his stance, Rajpal said “We can then ask Bopanna to partner Leander.AITA chief Anil Khanna said that the federation will stand by its decision. “If Bhupathi expects AITA would buckle under pressure and refuses to pair up with Paes, he should know that it will not happen,” he said.”It will have to be Leander and Mahesh. Olympics is a different ball game and tougher than a Grand Slam and wealth of experience that the duo has would keep them in good stead in crunch and pressure situation”.Meanwhile, IOA supremo VK Malhotra has asked for a report on the issue. “Tennis is one of the sports which can fetch us a medal in the Olympics,” Malhotra told Mail Today. “I have asked Anil Khanna for a report which he has promised to give in a day or two. We will have to look at all the possibilities like whether we can send one team or two.”last_img read more

First Ship Arrives at New Fujairah Terminals

first_imgImage Courtesy: Abu Dhabi PortsThe newly established Fujairah Terminals welcomed its first container feeder vessel, the Dubai Alliance.This is the first ship to arrive at the terminal, which is wholly owned by Abu Dhabi Ports, the master developer, operator and manager of ports within Abu Dhabi, Fujairah Port and Khalifa Industrial Zone Abu Dhabi (KIZAD), after a concession agreement with the Port of Fujairah was signed in June this year.Dubai Alliance is a vessel under Star Feeders LLC, a specialist short-sea common carrier container feeder service that operates a feeder network between UAE ports.Following the signing of the 35-year concession agreement with the Fujairah Port that granted Abu Dhabi Ports exclusive rights to develop port infrastructure and undertake operations for containers, general cargo, RoRo and cruise ships, Fujairah Terminals was established and took over management of the terminals from Fujairah Port Authority from August 1.“We are marking the beginning of a new era for both Abu Dhabi Ports and the Port of Fujairah under the new management of Fujairah Terminals. The investment in port infrastructure will go a long way to strengthening development and operation of ports and terminals across the UAE and its contribution to the growth of a diversified, knowledge-based economy highlighting Fujairah’s strategic role in the UAE’s maritime and trade growth, bringing about a marked increase in vessel calls, such as the Dubai Alliance and many more to come,” Captain Mohamed Juma Al Shamisi, CEO of Abu Dhabi Ports, commented.Furthermore, Abu Dhabi Ports will retain the exclusive management of container business throughout the emirate of Fujairah for container business.Further terms of the agreement include enhancing the port’s ability to cater to larger vessels through the deepening of berths and building almost 300,000 sqm yard of storage space, as well as a 1km quay. The company will also invest in new technological equipment to increase operational efficiencies and services.last_img read more

Safe Bulkers Secures New Loan Concludes Refinancing

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Monaco-based dry bulk shipping company Safe Bulkers has concluded its refinancing actions with a USD 51.4 million loan facility.Namely, the company accepted an offer letter to refinance the loan secured by 4 vessels, part of which would expire in 2022, by extending the relevant tenor by 2 years and pushing back the balloon payments to 2024, concluding its refinancing actions.As of September 30, 2018, the total debt of USD 555.4 million was secured by 37 vessels, whereas following the refinancing the total debt on a pro-forma basis is USD 610.7 million secured by 39 vessels.Safe Bulkers said that the average margin following the refinancing is expected to be 211bps, adding that the refinanced facilities contain financial covenants in line with the existing loan and credit facilities of the company.“Having concluded the refinancing of our debt in close cooperation with our lenders, we believe that we have a comfortable debt profile which provides for one of the lowest cash break-even points in our industry for the following five years,” Dr. Loukas Barmparis, President of the company, said.He explained that the additional liquidity would provide financial flexibility to the company and “is expected to be used for financing our environmental investments including scrubbers and ballast water treatment systems and for general corporate purposes including acquisitions.”last_img read more