Former champion Marin Cilic had a golden chance to reach the U.S. Open final three years after lifting the trophy at Flushing Meadows, but the Croatian fifth seed blew it when he lost 6-4 5-7 5-7 4-6 against Argentine counter-puncher Diego Schwartzman in the third round on Friday.Cilic, the highest seed in a clear bottom half of the draw, eventually paid the price for his lack of match practice after skipping the U.S. Open warm-up tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati due to injury.He hit 80 unforced errors in an untidy display on Grandstand, where he also served nine double faults.The Very Open #USOpen@dieschwartzman takes out No. 5 seed Cilic 4-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-4 in R3!https://t.co/FQIIZXgeQs pic.twitter.com/shWovSspOv- US Open Tennis (@usopen) 1 September 2017″In the second round I played really well but today I was not coming up with the great shots,” Cilic told reporters.”It was a tough match… I didn’t have many free points on my serve, there were a lot of rallies.”Schwartzman was overwhelmed in the opening set before the 29th seed found his range to frustrate Cilic, who bowed out after wasting three chances to level for 5-5 in the fourth set.In a bottom half of a draw without a grand slam finalist and where American John Isner is now the highest seed at number 10, Schwartzman will take on either France’s Lucas Pouille or Kazakh Mikhail Kukushkin for a quarter-final spot.”I hope people can understand tennis is for everyone. It’s not just for the tall guys.”advertisement-@dieschwartzman https://t.co/9AqGcbSkGH #USOpen pic.twitter.com/19tjMVxZNF- US Open Tennis (@usopen) 1 September 2017″Sometimes if you have luck with the draw and you can take your chances, it’s always good for the new guys or for the guys who are out of the top 10,” said Schwartzman.”I think many players are doing well this week and are taking the opportunities because (others) are injured.”When the hard work continues to pay off…@dieschwartzman???????#USOpen pic.twitter.com/CpqGomjTQ7- US Open Tennis (@usopen) 1 September 2017The tournament is without the injured Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka as well as Novak Djokovic, who has ended his season.Top seed Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, the pre-tournament favourites, are in the top half of the draw.
Riyad Mahrez Leicester deny Mahrez has retired after Algerian’s Facebook account hacked Sacha Pisani Last updated 1 year ago 19:00 7/3/2018 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images Riyad Mahrez Leicester City Premier League WTF The Algeria international’s social media page suggests he has been forced to hang up his boots on medical grounds, but the Foxes have denied it Leicester City have denied that Riyad Mahrez has retired from football, instead insisting that his Facebook account was hacked.A message emerged via Mahrez’s verified Facebook page late on Tuesday, suggesting the Algeria international was bringing an end to his career.However, the Foxes have now confirmed that the post was not a genuine one, and that they have had the post taken down from the social media site. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Williams case shows Solskjaer isn’t holding Man Utd’s youngsters back – he’s protecting them Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp A spokesman confirmed: “Yes that’s correct. It’s not a genuine post and we’re working with Facebook to have it removed.”A picture of Mahrez had been uploaded to the popular social media platform, with an accompanying caption, which read: “After the last consultation with many doctors, I’ve decided to stay away from football.”As my time as a football player comes to an end, I would like to say few words.”I want to thank everybody for the kindness and support they have shown me in this incredible city. You will be always in my heart.”Mahrez saw a deadline-day move to Premier League champions-elect Manchester City fall through in January and the 27-year-old was absent from Leicester for 10 days.
eSports Sterling & Willian feature in new FIFA 18 Path to Glory team Harry Sherlock 02:00 10/3/2018 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images eSports Raheem Sterling Premier League Serie A Manchester City Juventus Liverpool Primera División Bundesliga The two Premier League wingers are a part of the team of World Cup hopefuls, which also includes the likes of Roberto Firmino EA Sports have announced a fresh batch of Path to Glory players available in FIFA 18 Ultimate Team, including the likes of Gonzalo Higuain, Willian and Raheem Sterling.EA released the initial group of players, featuring a mix of established stars like PSG’s Javier Pastore and young talent like Marcus Rashford at Manchester United, last year.With the World Cup in Russia approaching, the squads comprise players looking to earn a spot in their national team squads ahead of the summer. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Williams case shows Solskjaer isn’t holding Man Utd’s youngsters back – he’s protecting them Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp They are available in packs and on the transfer market, and feature boosted stats.Higuain starts with a base rating of 92, a boost of two from his base of 90, while Raheem Sterling moves from a left winger to a central attacking midfielder, with a huge rating of 87.Path to Glory players will see their stats further boosted based on the strength of their real-life performances.This will be reflected in the game when one of the players is included in a FIFA Team of the Week, Man of the Match, European Team of the Tournament, Hero or Record Breaker in-form release.When that happens, the ratings on their Path to Glory card will be automatically updated in line with their latest in-form card.
Edin Džeko Dzeko: Roma deserved great win for patience against Shakhtar Ben Spratt Last updated 1 year ago 07:07 14/3/2018 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Edin Džeko Roma v Shakhtar Donetsk Roma Shakhtar Donetsk UEFA Champions League The striker felt his second half strike was well deserved as his side reached the quarter-finals for the third time in their history Edin Dzeko credited his Roma team-mates for a “patient” performance as they dumped Shakhtar Donetsk out of the Champions League.A 1-0 win, after a 2-1 defeat in Kharkiv, took Roma through on away goals as Dzeko scored seven minutes into the second half with the game’s first chance of note.And although the Serie A side were outplayed for long periods at Stadio Olimpico, the Bosnian praised the way his side did not panic before eventually finding the breakthrough. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Williams case shows Solskjaer isn’t holding Man Utd’s youngsters back – he’s protecting them Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp “It was a great night for me, for Roma and the whole club,” Dzeko told UEFA’s website. “We deserved this.”We were patient. We knew that one goal could see us reach the quarter-finals. We scored that goal and then we did everything all together.”I did [think a second effort was in] but the ball somehow went wide of the goal. That [one that went in] was the golden one.”I’m proud of this team because I think we knocked out a very strong team.”He added: “Everyone deserves a standing ovation because we all gave absolutely everything, right up until the last minute. We deserve to go through, to be in the quarter-finals.”And Roma legend Francesco Totti also congratulated his former side on Twitter.”A fantastic result, a fantastic Roma: among the best eight sides in Europe,” he posted. “We push forward onto the next round.”
I got this email this week from a reader who gave me the go-ahead to post it. I’m not posting it to comment on it. In fact I’m not going to comment on it even though I disagree with parts of it. I’m posting it because I think it’s a good synopsis of where a lot of rational OSU fans are at the moment with Gundy (based on what people tell me), which is about to become problematic for Oklahoma State as a program.Here it is.Here’s the biggest deal for me and why I’m so anti Gundy right now, he doesn’t seem engaged. My friend was at the game he sent a pic of the team huddled up during a time out, Gundy was 20 yards away, arms crossed. He literally looks like a corpse propped up out there. Look at the elite coaches, they are so involved in every play. Not Gundy, and his team plays like he coaches. Low energy, boring, no urgency. He’s really turning into Bill Snyder, I don’t want that. I’m not buying a new polo every year, having my weekends revolve around OSU football for 6-6/8-4 seasons every year. If we have no chance at ever winning the conference, I will quit caring. I’ll watch OSU football like I watch OSU basketball or the Dallas Cowboys. If I’m not doing anything, I’ll watch it or have it on as background noise. But I’m rarely engaged in those games, I’m mostly indifferent. That’s it in a nutshell, I’m afraid Gundy is going to end up turning the fan base into mostly indifferent people. Maybe Shane Illingworth comes in and jolts the program, I’m not off the Sanders hype train, but it is starting to lose steam. I honestly think he might have been a little concussed, he was playing really well till he took that shot to the dome. Play-calling doesn’t help him either. Anyways, another loss and I’m out on the season, I’m not here for a coach that looks like Bernie from “Weekend at Bernie’s” (get Carson to explain the reference) or a team that plays like they’ve got better things to do. While you’re here, we’d like you to consider subscribing to Pistols Firing and becoming a PFB+ member. It’s a big ask from us to you, but it also comes with a load of benefits like ad-free browsing (ads stink!), access to our premium room in The Chamber and monthly giveaways.The other thing it does is help stabilize our business into the future. As it turns out, sending folks on the road to cover games and provide 24/7 Pokes coverage like the excellent article you just read costs money. Because of our subscribers, we’ve been able to improve our work and provide the best OSU news and community anywhere online. Help us keep that up.
Share this: Posted on January 18, 2011August 18, 2014Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)The UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) recently launched their new “Framework for Results” for improving global reproductive, maternal and newborn health. You will find more information on their new strategy below. The Framework is the result of months of collaboration resulting in over 2,000 responses from 90 countries as part of the DFID’s “Choice for Women.”Framework for Results – The publication and supporting products can be found at www.dfid.gov.uk/rmnhPress release is available at: http://www.dfid.gov.uk/Media-Room/Press-releases/2010/Mitchell-sets-out-Britains-plan-to-tackle-malaria-and-save-lives-of-mothers-and-babies/News story available at: http://www.dfid.gov.uk/Media-Room/News-Stories/2010/Britains-plan-to-tackle-malaria-and-save-lives-of-mothers-and-babies/ ShareEmailPrint To learn more, read:
CALGARY – Legal experts say a sentencing provision that can keep killers in prison for the rest of their lives is likely to make its way to the Supreme Court of Canada.The federal government enacted legislation in 2011 that allows a judge to order a multiple murderer to serve consecutive periods of parole ineligibility for each offence.It has only been applied on six occasions.The most recent was in the case of Derek Saretzky, who was sentenced in August for the first-degree murders of a man and his two-year-old daughter as well as a senior in southwestern Alberta.Saretzky received the mandatory sentence of life in prison. But instead of the usual 25 years before parole eligibility, the judge ordered that Saretzky spend at least three times that long — 75 years — behind bars before he can apply to get out.“This case hammers home the stark reality of the law as it is now. If you want to make it consecutive, you’ve got to make it 75 for three murders,” said Calgary defence lawyer Balfour Der, who is challenging Saretzky’s conviction and sentence in Alberta’s Appeal Court.“We’re talking about a 22-year-old who would end up with … no parole until he’s 97.“If we look at it that way … maybe we should give him a break. On the other hand, this is a very serious crime. This is highly emotional because of the circumstances of the deaths and who are the victims.”Der said it’s a tricky legal issue.“One of the grounds of appeal will likely be that the consecutive minimums of 25 years amounts to cruel and unusual punishment and, because of that, the section is unconstitutional.”He suggests a sliding scale for consecutive parole ineligibilities that still recognizes the seriousness of a case.A University of Calgary law professor said she wouldn’t be surprised if the case shows up in Canada’s top court.“I don’t know how or in what manner the court would deal with it, but I would suspect it will happen,” said Lisa Silver.She said she can understand the argument since it’s a relatively recent provision in the Criminal Code.“It does mean that someone is spending an amount in custody that was unheard of in the past,” Silver said. “It is something that the Supreme Court of Canada needs to look at and needs to determine once and for all. Is this constitutional?”Veteran Calgary defence lawyer Alain Hepner expects the provision will get a second look by the federal government.“That’s the U.S. model,” he said. “It’s not too extreme from a public perception, but … the case law and the judges say we’re not here to pander to the public opinion. We have to apply the law.“A lot of these people may never see the light of day and the public may want that. There’s got to be other ways of doing it.”Alberta’s justice minister said consecutive parole ineligibilities can be a “useful tool” as a signal to criminals that multiple crimes may lead to a longer sentence.“It can potentially have a beneficial effect in terms of signalling to people who are doing these things that it’s not a good idea,” Kathleen Ganley said.“It can have a sort of deterrent effect. That being said, obviously it’s only intended to be used in certain circumstances.”— Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter
PORTLAND, Ore. — Hemp is about to become legal nationwide.A provision of the farm bill that received final approval in Congress on Wednesday removes hemp from the list of federally controlled substances and treats it like a regular crop.President Trump is expected to sign the bill into law next week.Hemp is a type of cannabis that does not get the user high.The change means an industry already seeing explosive growth is likely to grow more.Most of that growth will be due to demand for CBD, a non-psychoactive compound found in hemp that many believe has health benefits.Estimates show the federal legalization could triple the overall hemp market to $2.5 billion by 2022, with $1.3 billion of those sales from CBD products.Gillian Flaccus, The Associated Press
With four of the top 10 teams in the nation competing in the 2013 Big Ten Championships this weekend, the road to a conference title will not be an easy one for the Ohio State wrestling team. The No. 6 Buckeyes posted a 5-3 record in Big Ten play this season, earning victories against Michigan, No. 14 Illinois, No. 23 Wisconsin, Indiana and No. 16 Northwestern while suffering losses to three higher-ranked opponents – No. 1 Penn State, No. 2 Minnesota and No. 4 Iowa. They did not face No. 12 Nebraska, Michigan State or Purdue. “We have to perform to our best,” said 141-pound sophomore Hunter Stieber. “The Big Ten is stacked with five of the top teams in the nation. It’s a smaller bracket so there’s going to be more of a chance for one team maybe than others. It’s going to be tough.” OSU is one of only four teams to have a seeded wrestler in each weight class. Six Buckeyes were voted in by the conference’s coaches as top five preliminary seeds for the championships. Redshirt sophomore Logan Stieber (133) and his younger brother Hunter Stieber earned No. 1 pre-seeds after going undefeated in the regular season. Logan Stieber, who missed most of January with a leg injury, posted an impressive 19-0 record and will be in search of his second consecutive Big Ten title. Hunter Stieber boasted a 27-0 record and led the team with 10 major decisions. “I feel pretty good (about the tournament),” Hunter Stieber said. “It’s the end of the year so it’s exciting. This is what we’ve been training for all year. I’m ready for it. I’m excited to wrestle.” Earning No. 4 pre-seeds were redshirt junior Nick Heflin (174) and sophomore Andrew Campolattano (197). Heflin holds an overall record of 12-3 while Campolattano went 15-8. Senior Nikko Triggas (125) and sophomore Cam Tessari (149) were awarded No. 5 pre-seeds after finishing the regular season with records of 17-10 and 13-7, respectively. Rounding out the lineup for OSU are redshirt sophomore Josh Demas (157), redshirt senior C.J. Magrum (184), freshman Mark Martin (165) and freshman heavyweight Nick Tavanello who earned sixth, eighth, ninth and tenth pre-seeds, respectively. Coach Tom Ryan said that in order to have a shot at a conference championship, the team will have to improve the way it trains. “Overall, I just think it’s discipline, that’s definitely a problem for us,” Ryan said. “The discipline of rest, the discipline of warming up right, the discipline of being ready to compete at a high level. We have to do all the little things right.” Redshirt sophomore Matthew O’Hara (174) agreed that the team needs to work on some areas but feels confident that it can come out of the tournament victorious. “Conditioning has been kind of a problem for some people, so we’ll have to work on that,” O’Hara said. “We’ll have to get that under control. But we definitely have the talent, so it’s definitely in our grasp. We’ll be able to do it.” The Buckeyes’ first match is set to begin at 11 a.m. Saturday at Assembly Hall in Champaign, Ill. The Big Ten Championships will conclude on Sunday.