They are, Mendi One, TNT Jets, Poroma, Imbongu, Mendi Two, Kutubu, Lower Mendi and Upper Mendi.The eight teams were among 18 that came from districts throughout the province to challenge in the round robin games played last weekend. They played in four pools with the top two in each pool qualifying while the rest of the 12 teams were eliminated.The final play offs kick off on today with Imbongu taking on Upper Mendi in the first game.The second match will see Lower Mendi play TNT Jets, then Kutubu will challenge Mendi Two and later Poroma will battle with Mendi One.The tournament is aimed at scouting local talents to represent the Mendi Muruks in 2016 Digicel Cup season.
World number one Simona Halep gets a fourth chance to finally win a Grand Slam title when she starts as favourite in the French Open final against American Sloane Stephens on Saturday.The 26-year-old has pedigree on clay, knows what it feels like to step out on Court Philippe Chatrier to contest the title match and holds a 5-2 winning record over Stephens.She is also playing arguably the best tennis of her career.There is one major sticking point though, Halep has always fallen just short when the big prizes have been tantalisingly within reach — twice in the French Open final and also in this year’s Australian Open final.Tenth seed Stephens, the first American not called Williams to reach the Roland Garros final since Jennifer Capriati in 2001, by contrast has a perfect record in Grand Slam finals having beaten friend Madison Keys to win last year’s U.S. Open.Romanian Halep’s best chance came last year when she was a set and 3-0 ahead against unseeded Latvian Jelena Ostapenko, only to suffer a heartbreaking defeat.In Australia in January she ran out of gas on a steamy Melbourne night against Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki but after a relatively comfortable passage through the Paris draw, she will be firing on all cylinders this time.While the match is a huge occasion for Stephens, seven-times French Open champion Chris Evert believes Halep needs it more.“I think tomorrow is a bigger moment for Simona Halep than it is for Sloane Stephens,” Evert, a Eurosport analyst, said on Friday. “Simona has had three crushing losses in the finals, she is still searching for the elusive Grand Sam title.“To me, it is really going to depend on who’s the most fearless and who’s going to come out the box and play more aggressive tennis. To me, that’s the deciding factor.”A year ago Stephens, 25, could hardly have imagined contesting Grand Slam finals — let alone having won one already by the time she turned up in Paris this year.After the 2016 Rio Olympics she spent nearly a year sidelined with a foot injury and did not play at last year’s French Open. As comebacks go, it has been remarkable.“Obviously a lot of hard work went into it, a lot of adversity, a lot of ups and downs,” she said. “A lot of emotions, like ‘am I ever going to be the same? Am I ever going to play good again at a high enough level?’”Having known the frustration of time away from the court perhaps explains her almost trance-like calm in the heat of battle — always appearing unruffled.Halep is more emotive on court and her tenacity has earned her an army of fans. She will be the popular favourite on Saturday, if only for her sheer perseverance.“Okay, let’s make a deal. I will play for the fans from all over the world because I know that many are hoping me to win this Grand Slam finally,” she said.“I will put everything I have Saturday on the court. I will think that I will make many people happy. So maybe I will have enough power to win it.”
Yours sincerely,Peter Persaud Dear Editor, Michael Mcgarrel’s letter in the Stabroek News (27 Sept, 2016) titled, “Why is Thelma Rebeiro not receiving proper professional attention?” is absolutely factual and I do endorse it.Thelma Rebeiro is certainly not receiving professional attention or care at the Lethem Hospital and if it was not for her family and relatives who visit her daily at 06:00h and 17:00h to do the work the Lethem Hospital nurses should be doing. Thelma Rebeiro seems to have a blockage to her brain that deprives the movement of oxygen. A brain scan is therefore urgently needed to be done by a brain specialist which may restore her to consciousness.She has a throat problem that affects her swallowing, causing a buildup of saliva causing her to choke when maybe as a result of bronchus pneumonia.Thelma Rebeiro also needs the attention of a nerve specialist as well. It is therefore very important that the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) quickly dispatches a qualified brain, throat and nerve specialist to the Lethem Hospital for examination of Thelma Rebeiro. The CMO must make this Lethem’s professional medical examination project. But if Guyana’s medical authorities find this to be an impossible specialised health project within two weeks then the family and relatives may have to seek the assistance of the Ambassador of the Federative Republic of Brazilian medical treatment. In the meanwhile, the Amerindian Action Movement of Guyana (TAAMOG) is calling on the Granger Administration to fire the Public Health Minister Dr George Norton for deliberately refusing to provide specialised medical attention to Thelma Rebeiro of Shulinab Village, South Central Rupununi, Region 9.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Anglican Church in Fort St. John held an Open House yesterday evening to show the public the plans for the proposed new church.The land proposed for the church is located at 8907 – 112th Avenue.The Anglican Church is wanting to change the land use from Low Density Residential to Institutional to allow for the development of a church on the site.- Advertisement -At the Open House last night, The City of Fort St. John representative Jennifer Decker said the church has been able to provide them with a plan showing the layout, showing the proposal so that Council can see what they are proposing and how it would work on the lot they would like to put it on.“It could change slightly as they work through the process because this is the starting point. They won’t be tied to this exact plan but generally the size and the sighting is working for the lot and what they want to do.”The City says processes like this usually take 2 Council sessions to go through.Advertisement “I think what we’ve been hearing is concerns around parking and traffic. It is such an issue in this town. In our zoning bylaws there are certain amounts of parking they have to have. So in order to build the church, they will have to provide the parking.”The City will send direct mail notifications to those within 100 metres that the building could be taking place. Everyone in close proximity will receive a letter notifying them of the public hearing that the City will be holding. There will be newspaper ads for the general public.The City says a rezoning can take around 4-6 months to complete from the start of the process to the end.The City of Fort St. John is asking those that wish to have comments included in the report that will go to Council to email firstname.lastname@example.org. “They will go for the first and second. Hopefully in December.”The second meeting will be a public hearing. Dates have not been officially set for when the 2 meetings will take place.Council will consider all comments and make a decision. Staff has done some referrals with internal and external agencies according to Decker.She says the main concerns the City has been hearing have been around parking and traffic when it comes to the new church site.Advertisement
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Fort St. John City Council could decide to put the Festival Plaza project on hold until 2020 due to grant funding.A report being presented to Fort St. John City Council on Monday, is asking for direction from Council on whether to put the project on hold or proceed with construction in 2019.The City was going to apply to the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program to fund 75 percent of the construction costs. Unfortunately, the City won’t know if they receive the grant until the fall of this year and construction can’t start before the grand it awarded.- Advertisement -The grant could provide up to $1,925,462 in funding for the project, but there is no guarantee that the grant will be approved. The City has yet to announce what the total cost of the project would be.Council will decide on Monday if construction should start in 2019 or if the project should be pushed to next year. The Festival Plaza will be located on the northwest corner of Centennial Park on the grounds next to 100th street and 96 Avenue. The Plaza will act as a visual entrance to the City of Fort St. John when travelling in from the south.Advertisement
Roman Weidenfeller 1 Tottenham will make a move for Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller – if Hugo Lloris leaves.The Frenchman has been linked with a move to Premier League rivals Manchester United, who look set to lose David de Gea to Real Madrid.Lloris’ departure would leave Spurs with Michel Vorm as the solitary senior goalkeeper at the club and Mauricio Pochettino is wary of the need for reinforcements.According to Bild, the man high on the Argentine’s wanted list is Dortmund shot-stopper Weidenfeller.The 34-year-old’s place as the number one is under threat at the Westfalenstadion after the German club signed Roman Burki from Freiburg, while Australian Mitchell Langerak is also highly thought of.That scenario has left Weidenfeller considering his future and Tottenham are now ready to pounce if he decides to end his 13-year spell at Dortmund.
Patrick Bamford has now gone on six different loan spells in four years at Chelsea Burnley have announced the signing of Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford on a season-long loan.The 22-year-old, who has been unable to force himself into the first-team picture at Stamford Bridge, has had previous spells at MK Dons, Derby, Middlesbrough, Crystal Palace and Norwich.Bamford arrives at Turf Moor after the club signed Steven Defour from Anderlecht for a fee in the region of £7.5million a fortnight ago and deals for Jamie Thomas, Robbie Leitch, Nick Pope and Johann Berg Gudmundsson earlier in the summer.Bamford, a graduate of the Nottingham Forest Academy, caught the eye in the 2014-15 season when he scored 17 times in the Championship for Boro.He also scored in a memorable FA Cup win at Manchester City that season but missed out on a European Championship spot with England Under-21s through injury.He played in the Premier League with both Palace and Norwich last season but neither spell proved fruitful. 1
West Ham legend Tony Gale says the London Stadium has been a ‘nightmare’ for the club, who MUST secure a stronger police presence at games if their move to the former Olympic venue is to be a long-term success.The Hammers claimed a brilliant 2-1 victory over Chelsea in their EFL Cup London derby on Wednesday night, but the big win was tarnished by clashes between fans.Police made seven arrests as chairs ripped from the stands, coins and bottles were hurled between sections of supporters, with both West Ham and Chelsea confirming they will hand out lifetime bans to those found to be involved.It’s not the first time violence has taken the spotlight since West Ham’s Stratford move. From just nine competitive games played at the new ground, 23 fans have already been banned.Former Hammers star Gale was at the game and he joined talkSPORT on Thursday morning to give an eye-witness account of the events.And the ex-defender is disappointed the scenes distracted from what was an impressive display from Slaven Bilic’s side in an important derby.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, Gale said: “The football was absolutely terrific. West Ham were brilliant last night, they were back to their best.“But all you can hear this morning is about the crowd trouble, and it’s marred what was a really great game of football for West Ham.“You could see seats and coins being thrown, both sets of fans were at it without a doubt. You couldn’t say it was all West Ham fans or all Chelsea fans.”A Chelsea fan (@Gate8_CFC) shared this photo of a friend who was injured by a thrown coinGale added: “The club have got real problems with the stadium. They’ve inherited a lovely stadium, it really is beautiful, but it’s not a football ground.“It wasn’t built with segregation in mind. There are so many entrances that it’s like a powder keg.“I feel for West Ham because you’d have to have thousands of police to stop any trouble happening, but they’ve got to try and do something about it.“They’ve just got to pay to get more police in, because people want to go to a game of football and be safe so they can watch it and the kids can watch it as well.“They’ve got stewards there, but to be fair to them when you’re confronted by hundreds of thugs, are you really going to stand in their way?“I know it’s their job, but when people – grown men – are fighting it is really difficult. You need policing there, you definitely need policing in that ground.“It’s a nightmare for the club.“Last night was a big test for the club and unfortunately they failed.”Listen to talkSPORT’s interview with Tony Gale IN FULL above
Alexis Sanchez has picked up an injury on international duty November is not a good month, according to Arsenal fans.It is usually their poorest performing month where a dip in form occurs, and now Alexis Sanchez has reportedly injured himself while on international duty with Chile, Gooners think the curse has struck again.Here, talkSPORT looks at a selection of tweets from supporters ahead of games against Man United, PSG, Bournemouth and Southampton. 1
1 Mark Clattenburg is to continue refereeing in the Premier League this season.It was announced last week that the 41-year-old is leaving English football to take up a role with the Saudi Arabian Football Federation.Clattenburg had initally planned to quit his post right away before making the move to the Middle East, where he is expected to earn a tax-free salary of £500,000-per-year.But following talks with Mike Riley, the head of Professional Game Match Officials Limited, he has agreed to take charge of least four more top-flight games.He will now be the man in the middle for West Brom’s clash with Bournemouth at the Hawthorns on Saturday.Clattenburg is considered one of the leading referees in the world, and officiated the Champions League final, FA Cup final and the European Championship final in 2016.Clattenburg will replace another former Premier League official in Saudi Arabia.Howard Webb resigned from his position as head of refereeing there earlier this month, and will take up a role with Major League Soccer next month. Mark Clattenburg